You know that ‘Enjoy Life and Do Good!’ is my life philosophy and business tagline, right? If you didn’t or if you want to read the story about how I came to choose it, you can click here.
Some folks may wonder if enjoying life is really important. Isn’t it more important to work hard? Be successful? Serve others? I don’t believe so. Here’s why:
- When you enjoy your life you spread joy to others around you. Don’t you prefer to be around joyful people? Others do, too. Most of us are influenced by the energy of those around us. Joyfulness is contagious. Catch it and spread it!
- We only get this one life. (As far as we know for sure.) I recently read a story of a man who learned that he had only months to live. He decided to go back and apologize to people he’d hurt and been mean to. The article made me sad for him. How much happier he and others would have been had he been thoughtful and kind during his whole life rather than the last few months.
- Joy gives you energy. When you’re happy and enjoying your own life you get more done because it’s easier. (Nope, I don’t have scientific proof. Just personal experience!)
- When you enjoy your life you give others permission to enjoy theirs. It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘gotta do more,’ gotta achieve more,’ ‘gotta work hard’ mentality. Especially when we’re around others with that mindset. When others see you working and living with joy they’ll understand that they can, too!
- The Bible says so! Living in the Bible Belt we know that’s the definitive authority. Read Ecclesiastes 3:12, 13. It says, “I know there is no good in them but for a man to rejoice and do good in his life. And that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.”
What about you?
- Is enjoying a priority for you?
- Have you ever felt guilty about pursuing enjoyment?
Myra McElhaney is a writer, author and speaker who encourages others to “Enjoy Life and Do Good!” Go to www.MyraMcElhaney.com to learn